- Cass County is now Bartow County.
In 1838 Henry McTeer and his sister moved to Cass County, Georgia, conveyed to
James Lockridge of Cass County, for $125, 40 acres in the 4th District 3rd
Section Lot No. 83. On 7 February 1850 Henry F. McTier of Cass County, deeded
to Christopher Dodd for $600, 40 acres in the 4th District, 3rd Section, Lot
No. 10, and 20 acres in the 5th District, 3rd Section, Lot No. 90; McTier had
bought this 40 acre parcel on 7 February 1849 from Lewis Tumlin for $241 and
the 20 acres on 19 April 1847 from Imri Tumlin for $100. These last three
deeds were recorded on 2 May 1850.
In the 1860 census of the 828th District Cass County, Georgia, Henry McTier
aged 46, born in Tennessee, his wife Amanda aged 37, born in Georgia, and their
six children, Nancy J., Rachel, John, Sarah, Mary and Eliza, were living in the
household of Benjamin Ivy aged 78, born in Virginia, along with Sarah Ivy aged
45 born in North Carolina and Nancy McTier, school teacher, aged 40 born in
"During the Civil War Mr. McTeer was too old for service, but when he died on 22
February 1864 his only request was to be buried in a casket like those of the
confederate soldiers." In April 1864 Amanda M. McTier was granted Letters of
Administration on the intestate estate of Henry F. McTier.
On 2 October 1883 Amanda McTier, Eliza J. McTier, Mary P. McTier, John C.
McTier, Rachel N. Holmes, Sallie L. Bruce and Nancy A. Vernor, all of Bartow
County, sold to Reuben Gaines of Gordon County, Georgia for $700, land in the
north half of Lot No. 51 north of the road from Cassville to Kingston, plus two
acres south of the said road, "known as the Ben Ivey place" in the 5th District
On 5 March 1887 Hiram H. Holmes, Eliza J. McTier, and Mary P. McTier, all of
Bartow County, deeded to John T. Morris of Bartow County, for $650 a dwelling
and lot in Cartersville, Georgia.
Ten days after this last conveyance, on 15 March 1887, J. J. Holmes deeded to
Mary P. McTier, Eliza J. McTier and H. H. Holms for $460, Lot No 22 located in
Cassville on the road from Cassville to Adairsville and abutting on the "shop
lot" of H. H. Holmes. This Property, "known as the Mary P. and Lidie McTier
place" was evidently the home of these two youngest daughters of Henry Ferguson
On 1 September 1941 Sam Verner, Susie Verner, J. C. Verner, Alice Verner
Bedford, McTier Verner, E. W. Verner and Dorothy Verner Morrison deeded their
interest in this property to Mary P. McTier. On 3 September 1941 H. H. Holmes,
Mrs. H. E. Holmes, Robert Holmes, J. F. Holmes and W. W. Holmes executed a
similar conveyance to Mary P. McTier; and on that same date for a consideration
of $100, J. O. Holmes, Susie Holmes Farris and C. C. Holmes deeded their
interest likewise to Mary P. McTier. But on 8 August 1941 Mary P. McTier had
conveyed the property to H. E. Bruce (her nephew). These five deeds relating
to the Cassville Lot No. 22 were filed together on 3 November 1942.
Reference:McTeer - Mateer Families of Cumberland County Pennsylvania, Frances Davis
McTeer, 1975, 55, 84-85.