- TRIBUTE TO FREEHOLDER P. MARVIN PADGETT -- HON. ROBERT E. ANDREWS (Extension of Remarks - September 27, 1996)
HON. ROBERT E. ANDREWS
in the House of Representatives
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 1996
* Mr. ANDREWS. Mr. Speaker, I rise to honor to Freeholder P. Marvin Padgett, a member of the Cumberland County Board of Chosen Freeholders in New Jersey. Mr. Padgett has announced his retirement. He will be leaving office at the end of his term in 1998.
* Mr. Padgett, a resident of Fairfield Township has dedicated his life to public service. He is currently concluding a 9-year stretch as Freeholder, which began in 1988. Prior to this he had served a 3-year term from 1971-73. Mr. Padgett has been affiliated with many Camden County Departments during his illustrious career.
* Freeholder Padgett began his community involvement as an active member of the Bridgeton Jaycees in the 1950's and has also held the post of President of that organization. Following his involvement with the Jaycees, the Freeholder was appointed a member of the Bridgeton Housing Authority. Mr. Padgett was later elected to the Fairfield Township Board of Education. In 1964, Mr. Padgett was elected to the first of his two terms as County Coroner. He was later appointed to the Cumberland County Utilities Authority where he served for a total of 8 1/2 years, the final 3 as Chairman. In 1978 he was elected Camden County Democratic Chairman.
* Mr. Speaker, I would like to take this opportunity to recognize and thank Mr. Padgett for his lifelong commitment to his community. Through his years of hard work, Freeholder Padgett has shown uncompromising dedication to his family, his colleagues, and to the people of his community.